ACTS is international, open source project developing an experiment-independent set of track reconstruction tools. The main philosophy is to provide high-level track reconstruction modules that can be used for any tracking detector. The description of the tracking detector’s geometry is optimized for efficient navigation and quick extrapolation of tracks. Converters for several common geometry description languages exist. Having a highly performant, yet largely customizable implementation of track reconstruction algorithms was a primary objective for the design of this toolset. Additionally, the applicability to real-life HEP experiments plays major role in the development process. Apart from algorithmic code, this project also provides an event data model for the description of track parameters and measurements.
Key features of this project include: tracking geometry description which can be constructed from TGeo, DD4Hep, or GDML input, simple and efficient event data model, performant and highly flexible algorithms for track propagation and fitting, basic seed finding algorithms. See ACTS webpage for further details of the full ACTS project.
IRIS-HEP members are involved in many aspects of ACTS development, including porting of track reconstruction to GPU toolchains, integration of ACTS into the Athena framework in the context of the phase-II upgrade of the ATLAS detector, and R&D implementations of cutting-edge tracking and vertexing algorithms.
The team supported by IRIS-HEP collaborating on the ACTS project are listed on this page. See here for the full author list. We held a tracking workshop for HEP in Berkeley in January 2019. Key ACTS experts from Europe were invited speakers at the workshop.
- Heather Gray
- Lauren Tompkins
- Rocky Bala Garg
- Irina Ene
- Louis-Guillaume Gagnon
- Beomki Yeo
- Carlo Varni
- Tomohiro Yamazaki
- Xiaocong Ai
- 15 Oct 2021 - "ACTS Seeding Algorithm and Tool in Athena", Carlo Varni, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 1 Oct 2021 - "Discussion on seeding algorithm EDM", Carlo Varni, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 17 Sep 2021 - "EDM Timing Studies", Carlo Varni, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 8 Sep 2021 - "Machine Learning for Track Reconstruction at the LHC", Louis-Guillaume Gagnon, AI4EIC-Exp Workshop
- 10 Aug 2021 - "Track Reconstruction using GPUs", Beomki Yeo, LBML ATLAS Meeting
- 20 Jul 2021 - "ATLAS Track Reconstruction for HL-LHC using ACTS software", Carlo Varni, LBL Weekly meeting
- 16 Jul 2021 - "Update on pixel clustering with ACTS", Louis-Guillaume Gagnon, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 18 Jun 2021 - "Update on pixel clusterization with ACTS in ITk", Louis-Guillaume Gagnon, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 18 Jun 2021 - "ACTS Tracking EDM", Carlo Varni, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 4 Jun 2021 - "Cuda seed finding update in traccc", Beomki Yeo, ACTS Parallelization Meeting
- 27 May 2021 - "Qualification task in TrackingCP: ACTS Integration into Athena", Rocky Bala Garg, ATLAS Inner Tracking CP weekly
- 21 May 2021 - "Acts Tracking EDM ideas and Seeding Tool", Carlo Varni, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 17 May 2021 - "Perspective on HEP Software", Heather Gray, vCHEP
- 15 May 2021 - "GPU Demonstrator for ACTS Track Reconstruction", Beomki Yeo, NSF review
- 26 Mar 2021 - "ACTS integration into athena", Carlo Varni, ACTS-ITk meeting
- 26 Feb 2021 - "Parameter Optimization and Layer Linking in ACTS track Seeding", Rocky Bala Garg, ACTS Machine Learning Meeting
- 12 Feb 2021 - "Athena-ACTS Wrapper: Iterative Vertex Finder with Full Billoir Fitter", Rocky Bala Garg, SLAC ATLAS meeting
- 2 Sep 2020 - "Ambiguity Resolution in ACTS", Irina Ene, IRIS-HEP topical meeting
- 26 Aug 2020 - "Initial studies of ACTS tracking performance with GPUs", Xiaocong Ai, IRIS-HEP Topical meeting
- 29 May 2020 - "Summary of Wednesday Session: Core Developments", Xiaocong Ai, ACTS Tracking for HEP Workshop
- 28 May 2020 - "ACTS Propagation on GPUs", Xiaocong Ai, ACTS Tracking for HEP Workshop
- 26 May 2020 - "ACTS Track fitting/finding Tutorial", Xiaocong Ai, ACTS Tracking for HEP Workshop
- 25 May 2020 - "ACTS Project Status", Xiaocong Ai, ACTS Tracking for HEP Workshop
- 15 May 2020 - "Acts Integration into Athena", Rocky Bala Garg, SLAC ATLAS meeting
- 22 Apr 2020 - "Tracking performance with ACTS", Xiaocong Ai, Connecting The Dots 2020
- 19 Feb 2020 - "Track fitting/finding with ACTS", Xiaocong Ai, Iris-hep topical meeting
- 8 Aug 2019 - "ACTS Status", Xiaocong Ai, USATLAS Summer Workshop
- 31 Jul 2019 - "ACTS: a common track reconstruction software", Xiaocong Ai, DPF 2019
- 31 Jul 2019 - "Ambiguity Resolution: Using Machine Learning", Nicholas Cinko, ACTS Developers Meetings
- 6 Feb 2019 - "IRIS-HEP Innovative Algorithms", Heather Gray, IRIS-HEP Steering Board Meeting
- 13 Jan 2019 - "Workshop introduction", Heather Gray, Berkeley Tracking Workshop
- 13 Jan 2019 - "Ambiguity Resolution Studies with ACTS", Heather Gray, Berkeley Tracking Workshop
- 13 Jan 2019 - "Ambiguity Resolution Studies with ACTS", Nicholas Cinko, Berkeley Tracking Workshop
- A Common Tracking Software Project, X. Ai et. al., arXiv 2106.13593 (25 Jun 2021).
- A GPU-based Kalman Filter for Track Fitting, X. Ai, G. Mania, H. Gray, M. Kuhn and N. Styles, arXiv 2105.01796 (04 May 2021) [1 citation].
- The Tracking Machine Learning challenge : Throughput phase, S. Amrouche et. al., arXiv 2105.01160 (03 May 2021) [3 citations].
- Tracking with A Common Tracking Software, Ai, Xiaocong, arXiv 2007.01239 (02 Jul 2020) [2 citations].
- Acts: A common tracking software, Ai, Xiaocong, arXiv 1910.03128 (07 Oct 2019) [7 citations].
31 Aug 2020