The Scikit-HEP project is a community-driven and community-oriented project with the aim of providing Particle Physics at large with a Python package containing core and common tools. The project started in Autumn 2016 and is under active development.
For what concerns the project grand structure, it should be seen as a toolset rather than a toolkit. It is not just about providing common tools for the community. It is also about improving on discoverability of utility packages and projects.
Scikit-HEP should be seen as a toolset of Python packages. The project defines a set of five pillars, which are seen to embrace all major topics involved in a physicist’s work. These are:
- Datasets: data in various sources, such as ROOT, NumPy/Pandas, databases, wrapped in a common interface.
- Aggregations: e.g. histograms that summarize or project a dataset.
- Modeling: data models and fitting utilities.
- Simulation: wrappers for Monte Carlo engines and other generators of simulated data.
- Visualization: interface to graphics engines, from ROOT and Matplotlib to even beyond.
- 9 May 2023 - "Analysis of physics analysis", Jim Pivarski, CHEP 2023
- 5 May 2023 - "Scientific Python", Jim Pivarski, HSF-India Training event at TIFR
- 28 Sep 2022 - "Status of Analysis - The Python Perspective", Jim Pivarski, Future Trends in Nuclear Physics Computing
- 15 Sep 2022 - "End-to-end physics analysis with Open Data: the Analysis Grand Challenge", Alexander Held, PyHEP 2022 (virtual) Workshop
- 8 Sep 2022 - "Adoption of Python and modern software practices in high energy physics", Jim Pivarski, CHESS Group Meeting
- 3 Aug 2022 - "Columnar data analysis (tutorial)", Jim Pivarski, Fourth Computational and Data Science for High Energy Physics (CoDaS-HEP) School
- 15 Jul 2022 - "Building binary extensions with pybind11, scikit build, and cibuildwheel" , Henry Schreiner, SciPy 2022
- 14 Jul 2022 - "Awkward Packaging: building Scikit-HEP" , Henry Schreiner, SciPy 2022
- 23 May 2022 - "Analysis user experience with the Python HEP ecosystem", Jim Pivarski, Analysis Ecosystems Workshop II
- 13 Sep 2021 - "Uproot/Awkward Array tutorial for STAR", Jim Pivarski, STAR Junior's meeting
- 6 Jul 2021 - "Uproot/Awkward Array tutorial", Jim Pivarski, PyHEP 2021
- 14 Jun 2021 - "Uproot Awkward Columnar HATS", Jim Pivarski, Hands-on Advanced Tutorial Sessions at the LPC
- 4 May 2021 - "Pythonic Data Science", Jim Pivarski, HL-LHC Analysis Mini-Workshop
- 20 Nov 2020 - "Survey and status of Pythonic HEP analysis tools", Jim Pivarski, CMS Physics Workshop on Analysis Tools and Techniques
- 26 Oct 2020 - "Access & Manipulation of Complex Data Structures: Uproot & Awkward Array", Jim Pivarski, Future Analysis Systems and Facilities
- 1 Oct 2020 - "Future of User Analysis", Jim Pivarski, LHCb Computing Workshop
- 11 Aug 2020 - "Measuring Python adoption by CMS physicists using GitHub API", Jim Pivarski, Snowmass Computational Frontier Workshop 2020
- 15 Jul 2020 - "Uproot and Awkward Array tutorial", Jim Pivarski, PyHEP 2020
- 8 Jun 2020 - "Uproot Awkward columnar HATS", Jim Pivarski, LPC HATS: Hands-on Training for CMS
- 8 Apr 2020 - "Uproot and Awkward Array tutorials for the Electron Ion Collider", Jim Pivarski, Electron Ion Collider User's meeting
- 27 Feb 2020 - "Awkward Arrays for Analysis Systems", Jim Pivarski, IRIS-HEP Review
- 17 Oct 2019 - "Awkward 1.0", Jim Pivarski, PyHEP Workshop
- 29 Jul 2019 - "IRIS-HEP Tutorial: Fast columnar data analysis with data science tools", Jim Pivarski, Division of Particles and Fields (DPF) of the American Physical Society (APS)
- 19 Jun 2019 - "Update on awkward-array, uproot, and related projects", Jim Pivarski, Analysis Systems Topical Workshop
- 18 Jun 2019 - "Uproot: accessing ROOT data in the scientific Python ecosystem", Jim Pivarski, 3rd CMS Machine Learning Workshop
- 10 Jun 2019 - "NumPy, Pandas, PyROOT, and Uproot", Jim Pivarski, U.S. ATLAS Software Training at Argonne National Lab
- 29 May 2019 - "Columnar Analysis Tools HATS", Jim Pivarski, LPC HATS: Hands-on Training for CMS
- 28 May 2019 - "Scientific Python and Uproot HATS", Jim Pivarski, LPC HATS: Hands-on Training for CMS
- 15 Apr 2019 - "Aghast", Jim Pivarski, IRIS-HEP Topical Meetings
- 1 Apr 2019 - "PyROOT, uproot, and awkward-arrays", Jim Pivarski, Software Carpentry at Fermilab
- Awkward Packaging: building Scikit-HEP, Henry Schreiner, Jim Pivarski, Eduardo Rodrigues, SciPy 2022 (14 Jul 2022).
- An array-oriented Python interface for FastJet, A. Roy, J. Pivarski and C. Freer, J.Phys.Conf.Ser. 2438 012011 (2023) (08 Feb 2022) [NSF PAR].
- HL-LHC Computing Review Stage 2: Common Software Projects: Data Science Tools for Analysis, J. Pivarski, E. Rodrigues, K. Pedro, O. Shadura, B. Krikler and G. Stewart, arXiv 2202.02194 (04 Feb 2022) [4 citations].