About coffea-casa project
coffea-casa is a prototype of analysis facility, which provides services for “low latency columnar analysis”, enabling rapid processing of data in a column-wise fashion. These services, based on Dask and Jupyter notebooks, aim to dramatically lower time for analysis and provide an easily-scalable and user-friendly computational environment that will simplify, facilitate, and accelerate the delivery of HEP results. The facility is built on top of a Kubernetes cluster and integrates dedicated resources with resources allocated via fairshare through the local HTCondor system. In addition to the user-facing interfaces such as Dask, the facility also manages access control through single-sign-on and authentication & authorization for data access.
Coffea-casa repositories and related resources
More information could be found in the corresponding repository:
Recent accomplishments and plans
- Deployed at University Nebraska-Lincoln Tier3,
coffea-casafacility is ready to accomodate the first CMS users: try it!
Future plans for 2021:
- Release Helm charts and other by-products to be deployable on the other facilities
- Deploy coffea-casa functionality at least on one external facility
- Involve more physics analysis groups to use facility.
Recent videos and tutorials
- The coffea-casa introductory Youtube video at PyHEP 2020
- The coffea-casa Youtube video tutorial at PyHEP 2020
- 9 Jun 2021 - "Advances in Analysis tools/ecosystem", Oksana Shadura, 9th Edition of the Large Hadron Collider Physics Conference
- 21 May 2021 - "Dask in High-Energy Physics community (workshop)", Oksana Shadura, Dask Distributed Summit 2021
- 20 May 2021 - "Coffea-casa an analysis facility prototype (plenary)", Oksana Shadura, 25th International Conference on Computing in High-Energy and Nuclear Physics
- 19 May 2021 - "Challenges Designing Interactive Analysis Facilities with Dask", Oksana Shadura, Dask Distributed Summit 2021
- 3 Feb 2021 - "Future analysis facilities", Oksana Shadura, CMS Week
- 24 Nov 2020 - "U.S. CMS Managed Analysis Facilities", Oksana Shadura, HSF WLCG Virtual Workshop
- 27 Oct 2020 - "Analysis on LHC-Managed Facilities: Coffea-Casa", Oksana Shadura, IRIS-HEP Future Analysis Systems and Facilities Blueprint Workshop
- 23 Sep 2020 - "Analysis facilities", Oksana Shadura, Upgrade R&D/CMP Meeting (Presented on Weekly CMS O&C Meeting slot)
- Coffea-casa: an analysis facility prototype, M. Adamec, G. Attebury, K. Bloom, B. Bockelman, C. Lundstedt, O. Shadura and J. Thiltges, EPJ Web Conf. 251 02061 (2021) (02 Mar 2021).